The workplace can be a high-pressure environment, stressful and demanding. With the constant pressure to perform, it is easy to forget the importance of your wellbeing and to put other things first. However, although it may feel like an inefficient use of time, taking steps to improve mindful practices at work increases focus, happiness, and satisfaction. This article will provide you with some tips on how to boost mindfulness at work.
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness means focusing on the present. It is a state of mind where we are conscious, aware, and calm. We accept our thoughts and feelings in the present moment. Managing our mental and emotional wellbeing through mindful practices brings enormous benefits in the work environment: increased focus and productivity, reduced stress, anxiety and depression, and improved relationships, to name but a few.
Tips for being more mindful
Contrary to popular opinion, mindfulness does not necessarily consist of long periods of meditation throughout the day. Below you will find some suggestions, many of which are appropriate for work environments. It is not essential to do all of them, and you can adaptthem depending on the amount of time available. Select a few and see what works best for you!
How to increase mindfulness at work
- Set reminders to be present – before starting work, and/or at regular intervalsthroughout the day.
- Make sure to take regular breaks. According to a study carried out by DeskTime, ‘themost productive people work for 52 minutes, then break for 17 minutes’. It is impossible to work constantly all day while maintaining high levels of productivity.
- Even if you do not have much time, meditations work wonders for certain people, and they can be as short as you want. Several different types are available, for example, destress or anxiety-focused meditations, or body scans.
- For a shorter mindful exercise, simple breathing techniques bring your attention back to the present moment and have a calming effect.
- Focusing on the present is difficult when you are constantly distracted by your emails. Multitasking has been proven to be ineffective, so focus on one task at a time! Try turning off notifications and eliminating other possible distractions.
- Finally, you can use your commute to unwind after work and leave any issues behind you at the office. Turn off your phone, listen to some music, or a podcast or meditation. Whatever works best for you.
Changing your mindset
As well as incorporating a few of these mindful practices into your workday, changing the way you think can greatly boost your mindfulness and wellbeing.
Remember to actively listen and be present in conversations. It requires less energy to daydream, however, making this effort to get involved brings your attention back to the present and strengthens relationships with colleagues. Additionally, it is important to accept what you cannot change, to allow you to move on with life. Finally, stress is inevitable in the workplace, nevertheless, it is a natural response designed to increase performance. If you make stress your friend, recognising it and viewing it as beneficial, you eliminate the health risks.
We hope you found this article on how to boost mindfulness at work interesting. If you’d like to take advantage of our bright, spacious coworking spaces and friendly international community at Coworking Granada Catedral, don’t hesitate to get in touch!